Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Days Off

Working at a private school in 2011-2012, I was allowed ten vacation days (and two sick days) per year.  I worked all national holidays (excluding only Chuseok and the Lunar New Year).

Working at a public school this year, I've already had three days off... and it's only been two months... and it's not even summer break..... yet!

Thanks to those days off, this last weekend ended up being 4 days long, so three fellow English teachers -- who also live in Yanggu (and in the same apartment building, for that matter) -- and I boarded the bus bright and early Saturday morning and headed six hours South to Korea's second biggest city: Busan.

The rest of the story I'll share in images.  (Click to enlarge)

Day 1: Arrival and Taejongdae

Hiking up to the Taejongdae -- a park famous for its steep cliffs
and striking views.

There's a striking view now. 

Back in town, a quick photo after a late dinner.  It was fun to
catch up with a few friends that I'd met in Portland over the
summer, but this time in their hometown -- not mine!
 

Day 2: Hike to Seokbulsa 

Taking the cable car up to start our hike -- a great view of the city. 

The destination: a temple made of rock... and another beautiful view.

A bit tired, but we all made it up!  Interesting side note: Our
traveling group included (from left to right) a Californian,
an Oregonian, an English-woman, and a South African.
 

Colorful lanterns strung up to create a "ceiling." 

Candid self-photography success. 
Day 3: Bathhouse and Beach

I got up bright and early and went for a soak at a
public bathhouse that's known for its vast view of
the beach below.   (Yes, you can see this while
you bathe.  No, this can't see you!)

Then I went down to the beach myself!

It was fun having a trusty local guide to follow around for the afternoon.

I don't know about you, but I rather liked the umbrellas.

Thanks for reading :)

No comments:

Post a Comment