Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Getting Ready to Go... Again

Where are you going?

Gangwon-do [gahng-wahn-doh], South Korea

("Gangwon" is the name of the province and "do" means "province."  Click here to see where Gangwon-do is at on a map of South Korea!)

Gangwon-do comprises the northeastern portion of South Korea.  It is commonly deemed "the countryside" and is known for its freezing cold winters.  Gangwon-do's capital city, Chuncheon [choon-chuhn], has a population of approximately 270,000 people (which might sound fairly urban, but compare a population of a few hundred thousand to Seoul's 10-million and it'll seem quite a bit rural-er!).  Elsewhere in the province are tiny towns settled between magnificent mountains.  A couple cities on the west side of Gangwon-do are connected to Seoul via subway.  The east side is a span of beautiful beaches that border the East Sea (between Korea and Japan).  Central Gangwon-do is very mountainous; it is also home to Inje, where one of several annual Ice Fishing Festivals is held.

* * * 

When do you leave?

This Thursday, February 13th, I plan to depart from Portland.  I hope to spend a few days in Seoul catching up with friends before beginning a formal 9-day orientation on February 18th.  The school year in Korea typically begins on March 1st.

* * *

Why are you going back there again?

Put simply, I am going to teach English in a public school.  I have been accepted by Korea's government-run program, EPIK (English Program in Korea), to teach for one calendar year.  Moreover, I am going because, overall, I enjoyed the 20-month period that I spent in Korea last year and have gained interest in experiencing more of Korea's intriguing language and culture.

I am not going back for "more of the same," however, nor am I hoping to find everything totally "new and different."  Instead, I hope to be faced with more and different.  I anticipate that several things being the same will allow for a more comfortable stay than I found at first, while numerous novelties will keep things fresh and interesting, with more than one "something" new to learn each day.  I hope to focus on improving my English teaching skills and expanding my Korean language skills, while taking the opportunity to observe the public school system and explore the countryside lifestyle for the first time.

* * *

What are you going to blog about?

I hope to incorporate personal updates with interesting happenings, cultural observations, comparisons of urban and rural life, and more!

* * *

Are you going to quit writing after the first couple months like last time?

That's always a possibility, but I'm beginning this blog anew with fresh resolve to achieve consistency and longevity.  If you'd like to contribute to this aim, comment, subscribe, or email; let me know you're reading.  I suppose all writers like to know there are a few readers out there ;)

* * *

Thanks for reading!

3 comments:

  1. Good luck, Karen. Hope your trip over is a safe one and you settle in easily. Keep us posted...I've always enjoyed reading your posts.

    Uncle Randy

    ReplyDelete
  2. good! i support you too :)
    Hi Jihoon.

    ReplyDelete